Sunday, January 2, 2011

Memorial Show Info

I think I can speak for the local music community when I say we are all still in shock and in pain from the loss of Frank Campagna Jr., aka Frankie 45. When I was at the impromptu memorial last night at Kettle Art, it really showed me the impact he had on everyone's lives he touched. I was surprised not only by the number of people who showed up, but in some cases, surprised by seeing individuals that I didn't even know were acquainted with Frankie. I simply call this The Frankie Effect. It didn't matter if you hung out with him on a regular basis or had a few brief passing moments with him; anyone who met him was affected by him. No one made it through the night without tears.

For those who couldn't make the tribute last night, or who simply wish to continue honoring the man, there will be a memorial show this Thursday at Dada. I had heard the term "wake" to describe the show, and in many ways I think this is an appropriate term. I think that the show will be a true celebration of a life that ended much too soon. Among the confirmed acts are Legsweeper, Here Holy Spain, THe BAcksliders, The American Fuse, and Rev. Horton Heat. The Nervebreakers will also reunite for this show. Some of you may recall that Spector 45 covered their song "My Girlfriend Is a Rock", changing the lyrics and renaming it "My Girlfriend's In Iraq". I will keep you posted as I know more details.

Also, I wanted to pass on to readers that the Campagna family, in lieu of flowers, to please send a donation to the Deep Ellum Community Association and help the neighborhood that Frankie loved.

No comments: