Friday, January 30, 2009

Weekend List: Where to Be, What to Do, etc.

Note to self: start writing the weekend shows update Thursday night. Friday evening is just too late, and Friday morning doesn't allow enough time for comments on the shows. Granted, this is better than nothing, but there are so many shows happening tonight and tomorrow that I definitely will not have the time to comment as much as I'd like. If I don't write anything underneath the show, it's not out of a lack of love for the show, just a lack of time.


FRIDAY:


  • Daniel Folmer/Dust Congress/Nervous Certains (Good Records)
    In a time of recession, free shows are a beautiful thing. Daniel Folmer's releasing a new CD, but get there early, because Sean Kirkpatrick's band Nervous Curtains will steal the show.

  • The Demigs/the cut*off/DJ Wolf (Andy's Bar)
    According to Andy's, DJ Wolf is not a DJ. Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Anywho, I love both The Demigs and the cut*off, and this is the best show in Denton all weekend. Nothing else comes close.

  • Douglas Woodlane/Nicholas Altobelli (Banter)
    Oops. I forgot that Banter is in Denton too. OK, so this one comes close.

  • Airline/The Orbans/The Polycorns (Double-Wide)
    In case you didn't know, The Lifters are now The Orbans. Airline is still Airline, which means they're still cool.

  • The Slack (Lakewood Bar & Grill)
    Has anyone else noticed that booking at LB&G is getting better and better?

  • The Beaten Sea (Opening Bell Coffee - Mosaic)
    Saw these guys last year at Kristy Kruger's benefit for Mojo. They were a very new band at the time, but I could instantly tell that this was a band to keep an eye on. No telling how far they've come since then.



SATURDAY:


  • Nicholas Altobelli (Dunn Brothers Coffee Addison)
    I'll be starting out my evening here...

  • Dove Hunter/The Heelers (Double-Wide)
    And then I'll most likely head to DW for some DH action...

  • Salim Nourallah & The Constellations
    But I might change my mind and come here instead. You never know.

  • Somebody's Darling/Charlie Shafter & The Gnomes
    The problem with raving as much as I have about SD is that I've lost anything new to say about them. So I'll just say this: they're great. 'Nuff said.

  • King Bucks (Jack's Backyard)
    I'd never heard of this place until Fishing For Comets booked a show there for last weekend. This might prove to be a good new place for checking out bands. At the least, they've gotten two Saturdays in a row with great bands. That's gotta count for something.

  • The League of Fucking Decency/The Capture (The Cavern)
    The opening band is a... Cure cover band? Don't get me wrong; I absolutely LOVE The Cure. Just seems like a weird fit for The LFD. That's all.

No comments: