Friday, January 23, 2009

Super, Super, Super Big Weekend Here: GOBL Style


Wow, where do I even begin? There are too many big shows going on this weekend. Let me start out with some shameless self-promotion. If you've been paying attention, you know that I'll be doing another Ghost of Blind Lemon Showcase this Saturday at Club Dada. Cover is $10, and you'll be getting one heckuva lineup.

Get there early (9:00 to be exact) to catch one of my new favorites, Nicholas Altobelli. You may have heard me raving about his new album, Waiting for the Flowers to Bloom, and wondered what the big deal is. I could go into flowery descriptions of what the music sounds like, or I can simply say he's a great songwriter. Don't take my word for it; get there by 9:00 p.m. to make up your own mind.

Next up on the lineup are The O's. I cannot remember the last time a local band has gathered so much attention so quickly. Only mere months after forming, the duo was signed to Idol Records, arguably the biggest record label in Dallas. Look for their debut CD, We Are the O's, in stores very soon. If you want to get to know the songs that will be on the CD, see it live at my showcase.

I was introduced to the music of Erik Neff thru Club Dada owner Ben Tapia. Mr. Neff's sound is a little different from the rest of the acts on the lineup, leaning much more towards blues instead of alt-country. Still, this guy is a great vocalist and guitarist, and would be an asset to any lineup. There's a lot of buzz around Mr. Neff, and you may be telling the story years from now about how you got to see Erik "before he became a superstar". I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Finally, can you think of a better way to wrap up the evening than Rose County Fair? John Pedigo has been spending so much time playing with The O's that his more rocking band has had fewer opportunities to perform. In fact, this is their first show since my last showcase. Maybe The Ghost should personally adopt Rose County Fair. Maybe John & I will discuss that over a beer tomorrow night.

And that's only MY showcase. I'm just scratching the surface here. I unfortunately have to leave to go to my real job, but check back in later for other show options. I do leave you with one hint for tonight's best bet: Granada Theater.

2 comments:

Bona Fide Darling said...

I may have to come down and see The O's. They're soooo good!

Bona Fide Darling said...

I may have to come down and see The O's. They're soooo good!