Monday, January 12, 2009

The Cure for Your Case of the Mondays

I know the day is just beginning, but let’s face it: you’re about to have a case of the Mondays. Mondays, as a general rule, suck. Nothing good usually happens on a Monday. I say usually because this is not your typical Monday. It’s not often I can say this, but you have several options for good shows this Monday.

Kristy Kruger (Opening Bell Coffee South Side on Lamar)
Today should have been Lt. Col. Eric Kruger’s 43rd birthday. As many of you know, Kristy’s brother was killed over a year ago in the Iraq War. It will certainly be an emotional evening, but it is always a treat to see Ms. Kruger perform. Other than Sarah Jaffe, I do not know of another female singer-songwriter who has the ability to captivate an audience like Kristy. I also believe this is her only Dallas performance this month, so catch her while you can.

The Donkeys/Orange Peel Sunshine/The League of Fucking Decency (The Lounge on Elm Street)
I really don’t know the first two bands, but I’ve always had a soft spot for opening act League of Fucking Decency. The LFD blends a lo-fi sound with lots of off the wall humor in their lyrics. The band is encouraging the audience to bring either sock puppets or their own instrument “to mock them”. If the band is half as entertaining as their lyrics and MySpace bulletins, then a fun time is sure to be had.

Romp Almighty (Barley House)
I got a bulletin from the band informing me of this “top secret” show. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me.

No comments: