Sunday, January 4, 2009

MySpace Playlist: 1/4/09

First of all, to any readers patiently (or impatiently) awaiting my podcast, please bear with me. There are songs I am lacking from the countdown, plus it just takes time to put together. It will happen.

In the meantime, check out the songs on my MySpace profile. Last week I spotlighted some awesome songs that didn't quite make the countdown. This time, instead of looking back, I'm looking forward. I'm giving you a small glimpse of what will hopefully be big this year. These are songs that will hopefully be released by year's end. I can't promise that all of these songs will receive a proper release, but hopefully they will. By the way, I am still without a sound card, so I'm going on faith on a few of these tracks. Comments are highly appreciated on any and all tracks.


  1. "Rocketships", Menkenna
    I feel like I'm cheating but using Menkenna in both 2008 and 2009 playlists, but I don't care. I saw them last night at the Prophet Bar, and I am still reeling from their set. The band manages to pull off the feat of blending together the gorgeous atmospheric vibe of the best shoegaze sounds with all the emotional intimacy of a singer-songwriter type. If there is any justice in the Dallas music scene, this will be a huge year for Menkenna.

  2. "You've Got Your Heart", The O's
    I also got to see this band with Menkenna, and I just love this band to death. If you haven't seen them yet, you need to remedy that immediately. They've got plenty of shows coming up, including a particularly special one on January 24th at Dada. Trust me, you need to reserve that date on your calendar.

  3. "Which We Have Heard and Known", Doug Bur
    There was no better CD released in 2006 than Doug Burr's On Promenade. Following up such an amazing disc is a difficult and unenviable task. Yet I feel confident that if anyone can pull it off, it would be Mr. Burr. This is one of the songs on the playlist that I have unfortunately not had the privilege of listening to. I have complete faith, however, that this track is going to be amazing. After all, it's Doug Burr. Need I say more?

  4. "The Vultures Are Circling", Jack with One Eye
    If you like this track, you can download it free on the band's official website. It's a free promotional download that I believe is a limited time offer before their CD Release Party February 13th at The Lounge. I haven't heard this track either, but I like what I've previously heard by the band.

  5. "Beg You to Stay", Smile Smile
    Talk about hot off the presses. The band just posted this rough demo on MySpace today. Obviously, another track I'm posting on faith.

  6. "My Best State", The Felons
    Finally, a track that I have heard. I haven't seen them play live since my showcase in August. At that time, the band had just recently said goodbye to their keyboard player, the multi-talented Fred Holston. I am highly curious to hear what direction the band is going in now, since they are now sans keyboard player.

  7. "Mr. Natural", Trey Johnson
    Sorta may be gone, but that's not stopping Trey from recording new material. I talked to him about his upcoming solo CD, and he told me it was a very different vibe from what he did with Sorta. This should be interesting to hear.

  8. "Erased", They Were Stars
    No, this song is not related to the Salim Nourallah song of the same name. All I really know about this band is that they played at Dada Halloween night, covering songs by The Cure. Hey, that's a good enough starting point for me.

  9. "Robin", Little Black Dress
    It looks like this will be a great year for Idol Records, between CD releases of The O's and this band. Hmmm... Menkenna, Jack with One Eye, Little Black Dress... is this the beginning of a shoegaze revival? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

  10. "From Under the Blankets", Sara Donaldson
    Ms. Donaldson has had this song on her MySpace since 2006, and we're still waiting on her second CD to be released. I know, I know, between her paintings, photography, yoga, and everything else she has on her plate, there's not a lot of time on her hands to release a CD. Still, I can hope, can't I?

3 comments:

bill h said...

great list. I love my best state and I have heard the awesome cut from the Shawl, and it's my favorite one on the CD.

fuzzbuzz said...

yay, jack with one eye and us (shapes) have been struggling it out for the longest to get our stuff out. i'm glad they have their record release show booked. ours is coming up on the radar as well- heads up! yay 2009!

Anonymous said...

Rocket ships is awesome!