Friday, November 5, 2010

Weekend Plans: 11/5/10

I'm a little late getting on this, but there's still time to plan your Friday Night. Besides, I'm inclined to say that the Saturdays shows are a little stronger, and you've definitely got time to plan for tomorrow.


FRIDAY:
Air Review/Radiant*/The Orange/God’s Joke (Trees)
For fans who can't decide whether they're more "alternative" or "indie", this is pretty much a dream lineup. Air Review are possibly the kings of straddling the alternative/indie fence, with pop gems like "Chasing Corporate" and "All Because You're Mine" that are catchy enough for the masses yet intelligent enough for the music snobs. The band learned some of this musical blend undoubtedly from Radiant*, also performing tonight at Trees. As for The Orange, I've yet to see the band, but really liked songs of theirs like "Nip/Tuck". They've reportedly undergone some lineup changes, but I suspect the talent is still there.
Mike Graff/Menkena (LaGrange)
Jimmy Menkena texted me the other day, telling me "it's about to hit." "It" is undoubtedly the long-awaited full length debut from the band, and from what I've heard, it's going to be amazing. The show also features ex-Course of Empire guitarist Mike Graff. I'm not sure if he'll be performing solo songs or COE tunes; it'll be interesting to see which he does.
Emmeline (Planet Burrito)
Because Southlake people deserve good shows too.


SATURDAY:
Rhett Miller/Ben Kweller/The O’s (Granada Theater)
Here are seven things you need to know about Saturday's show:
  1. The main show consists of Rhett Miller, Ben Kweller, and The O's.

  2. There is also a VIP pre-show that consists of Mr. Miller performing acoustic, as well as Doug Burr and Glen Farris. Tickets to the early show are $75 I believe.

  3. Although I'm not as big of a fan of Rhett's solo stuff, it's still really good.

  4. The O's will be releasing their second CD shortly, which will feature more of the good time party bluegrass tunes that you've come to expect and love from the duo.

  5. The show benefits the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, a wonderful cause indeed. And you know that "The Ghost" loves a good charity show.

  6. If you don't have tickets or can't afford them, check back on the blog tomorrow. I just might be able to help you out.

  7. There is no 7th thing you need to know.

RTB2/Slider Pines/J. Charles and The Trainrobbers (LaGrange)
Don't know J. Charles, but I definitely give my stamp of approval to the other two acts.
THe BAcksliders/Holy Fiction/The 1969’s (Double-Wide)
Is it just me, or are THe BAcksliders playing around here more frequently? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. THe BAcksliders are one of the few bands that I never tire of. Never.

No comments: