Monday, November 15, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 11/15/10

Thanks to all who participated in this week's all request playlist. You really made my job easier. I'll take it. Also, let me know if you have any issues hearing songs on the Grooveshark playlist. I've had difficulties recently, and want to know if it was a fluke or an ongoing problem.

Standard playlist disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email address to email me your mp3's. If I like the song, then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.


  1. "Barn Burner", The Roomsounds
    Chelsea Callahan requested this tune, and since her birthday was yesterday, I felt it only appropriate to start with this song. For the record, this may be my new favorite song of theirs.

  2. "Buyer's Remorse", Les Americains
    Jason Roach requested some Les Americains for the Lucky Thirteen, but did not specify a track. I felt that after two weeks of "Calistoga Blues", a change was needed.

  3. "Clara", Paul Slavens
    A quote from Clay Pendergrass, who requested the song: "In my imagination, this is what it would sound like if Theloneus Monk and Leonard Cohen met in a smoke-filled cafe stocked with absinthe and found a piano in the corner." Couldn't have said it better myself.

  4. "German Chocolate Cake", Bravo, Max!
    Nicholas Altobelli had a long list of requests. Since he requested this band and I already had the track, I opted for this song.

  5. "Someone Like You", David Crandall
    This song was a request from Emmeline, an amazing artist in her own right. Keep your eye on the blog for more Emmeline related articles as her CD release show approaches.

  6. "Moanin' Rag", Whiskey Folk Ramblers
    Scott Riegel recommended this particular track, and it's a fine choice I might add.

  7. "A Cosmic Joke", Chris Holt
    The individual who requested to hear Mr. Holt wished to remain anonymous, choosing the pseudonym "The Cat of Blind Lemon." As an admitted cat lover (I have four myself), I definitely liked the fake name, as well as the track. If you haven't checked out the video for this song, you need to click here and watch.

  8. "Absalom", Spot
    Allan Hayslip of the band Bonedome requested to hear some Spot, and also gave me quite the history lesson on the band. It's a shame that this band didn't make it further; listen to their songs and you'll hear a band that, as Brando would've said, "coulda been a contender."

  9. "Last Night", Sparrows
    Here's a request from THe BAcksliders

  10. "The Sun Shines On My Face", THe BAcksliders
    And here's a request for a particular song by THe BAcksliders (recommended by the lovely and amazing Angela Donnelly).

  11. "I Love You", Spector 45
    This request came from Amy Verycrusse, who actually lives in the Austin area and not the metroplex. And while the music covered here is almost exclusively local in nature, I do welcome readers from all over the globe.

  12. "When Hammer Hits Stone", RTB2
    Here's a fine choice from Brett Michael Strawn of Cocky Americans.

  13. "Epic Outro", Sore Losers
    I've seen the name Sore Losers around a lot, but when Nic Hernandez requested to have one of their songs on the playlist, I sat down at gave their songs a listen. I am now adding their name along with Damaged Good$ and Dem Southernfolkz as one of DFW's finest hip-hop acts. And with a song name like "Epic Outro", it seemed the perfect way to wrap up this Lucky Thirteen.

No comments: