Monday, November 1, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 11/1/10

Standard playlist disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email addy to email me mp3's, and if I like the song then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I'm now adding links to the websites of any artists featured in the Lucky Thirteen. If you like what you hear, then go to their site and learn more.


  1. "Go On", The Shapes
    I've only been waiting for the debut album of The Shapes for about six years now. For those unfamiliar with the band, here's the Cliff Notes history: when Sons of Sound ended (click here for the Cliff Notes on them), Josh McKibben formed The Upsidedowners. Josh disbanded that group in early 2004. The remaining members, not ready to quit, formed The Shapes. And six years later, the album comes out. I hear their follow-up should be released sometime in early 2017.

  2. "Ma'mma Jamma", The Virgin Wolves
    Since I did the covers themed playlist last week, this song had to wait because I just (finally) got their CD. This song combines a 50's boogie beat with the rocking style heard in their song "Virtue and Vice". This is a CD you need in your collection.

  3. "House of All We Left Behind", Air Review
    I was originally going to share an acoustic version of "Chasing Corporate" on the Lucky Thirteen, but the Grooveshark website stated that the frequency of the file was too low or something like that. Oh well. Check out the band this Friday when they play Trees along with Radiant* and The Orange.

  4. "Calistoga Blues", Les Americains
    Speaking of shows, this band will be at Double Wide on November 12th, celebrating their LP release. I'm not sure if there will be a CD to be purchased. Frankly, I was kind of hoping they'd put it out on 8-track, but no such luck.

  5. "Supernatural", Rahim Quazi
    Mr. Quazi has told me on several occasions how excited he is for his next album to be finish and released. That makes two of us. In the meantime, here's the title track to his 2008 masterpiece.

  6. "Mind in Trouble", Oil Boom
    I've gotten a few tweets from this band, so I figured that at the least, I should give them a listen. This song is a nice piece of bluesy rock, and I'm curious to hear more from the band.

  7. "Mama Don't Like Me", The Roomsounds
    For some reason, Grooveshark insists on calling this song Mama192. I'm very anal about correct song titles, but I didn't want to not share the song just because of Grooveshark's error.

  8. "Your Wife, Your Kids, Your Family, Your Friends", Analog Rebellion
    I must confess, I didn't really get into PlayRadioPlay, but I must say that Daniel Hunter's self-proclaimed "stadium lo-fi" is really winning me over.

  9. "Fishbowl", Rhett Miller
    Call it a hunch, but I doubt Mr. Miller will be performing this or any song from his 1989 debut, Mythologies.

  10. "Within the Flame", Anna Thomas
    Ms. Thomas will shortly be releasing her Break Apart EP, a collection of songs that would be mature and impressive for a thirty year old woman. The fact that she's thirteen makes it almost unbelievable, but in a very good way.

  11. "To Whom It May Concern", The Burning Hotels
    Can someone explain something to me? Why is it that at a Burning Hotels live show, when the band announces "this is a song about Texas", barely anyone applauds? I mean, I thought that was supposed to be the one guaranteed way to get applause from an audience. And it's a good song too, so what's the deal people?

  12. "Just Incase", Year of the Ox
    Fans of quality hip-hop and rap, take note: listen to The Indie Verse every Tuesday at 4 pm for Nic Hernandez' show "The Breeding Ground". Click here to check out his site. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the show yet, but from the songs I've heard from his playlist, this man could be to local hip-hop music what Mark from the Local Edge is to local rock music. And that's no tiny compliment.

  13. "You're No Good", Pale Horse
    I'm ending this playlist with this song, because, well, it's awesome. Yeah, that about sums it up..

1 comment:

fuzzbuzz said...

Thanks for posting our track! ;-) And thanks for waiting so long for the release!

~Trish
(The Shapes)