Monday, November 8, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 11/8/10

Standard playlist disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email address to email me your mp3's. If I like the song, then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.


  1. "A Black Wave Is Comin'", Doug Burr
    I missed out on Mr. Burr's set at the Cystic Fibrosis benefit Saturday night at Granada. Truth is, I can't recall the last time I've seen him play, and that's not a good thing. I also don't have O Ye Devastator, another matter that really needs to change. For what I've sampled, it's killer, and this opening track to the CD sets a beautifully ominous tone.

  2. "Calistoga Blues", Les Americains
    I mentioned last week that Les Americains will be holding their CD release show at Double-Wide this Friday. I felt it was worth repeating.

  3. "German Chocolate Cake", Bravo, Max!

  4. "Young & Reckless", The Roomsounds

  5. "Troubble Is", Here Holy Spain
    Speaking of Double-Wide, Chelsea Callahan (aka "Cha Cha") will celebrate her birthday this year with her "7th Annual Rock & Roll for Charity Gala." As usual, the lineup is stellar, with all three of the aforementioned bands performing Thursday night at Double-Wide. You can also catch Bravo, Max! Saturday at City Tavern, and The Roomsounds will performing that same night at Opening Bell Coffee. As for Here Holy Spain, if you want to catch them, this is your only chance this week.

  6. "Quakertown", Darktown Strutters
    The first time I heard this track, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Between the monotone delivery and the minimal retro beats, I was initially on the fence. Still, there was something about this song that had me oddly fascinated, and with further listens I have definitely been won over by Darktown Strutters. By the way, if you're listening at your job, this track is NSFW. Just thought you should know.

  7. "Shivonne", Menkena
    As reported Friday, Jimmy Menkena tells me "[the album] is about to hit." I know I'm just repeating myself, but maybe if I say it enough, the album will hurry up and be released. It's not working.

  8. "Born & Raised", Trey Johnson
    Sons of Hermann Hall has itself the best lineup the venue has seen in months, with Trey Johnson, Camille Cortinas, and Chris Holt performing Friday night.

  9. "Allison", The Burning Hotels

  10. "Allison", Luna Matto
    What's the likelihood of two great local acts releasing songs named "Allison" within a matter of a few months? It seems rather unlikely, though admittedly a pleasant surprise. Watch, now someone's going to send me a cover of Elvis Costello's "Allison." Just watch, it'll happen.

  11. "Come Closer", Shiny Around The Edges
    Now that We Shot JR is no more, I thought I'd put a couple of songs on the playlist as a tribute. The first is from Shiny Around the Edges, a band that the blog put on my radar. And while I must thank WSJ for doing so...

  12. "If My Heart Was a Car", Old 97's
    I could have lived without the constant disses of bands that I consider to be the among the finest in the metroplex. Old 97's were cited in their final post as an example of one of the "boring 90's holdovers" that left stonedranger "wondering what, exactly, was wrong with the local music media and why Dallas hadn't caught up with the rest of the world." Like I said, I consider them to be one of Dallas' finest EVER and are underrated pioneers of the 90's alt-country movement, but maybe I'm just not hipster enough to get it.

  13. "Will You Be There", Pale Horse
    A reminder to all that this Thursday is Veteran's Day. It's a holiday that frequently goes unnoticed, and to say that's a shame is an understatement. In honor of the day, I leave you with this Pale Horse tune about life after war and the effects it has on the troops.

No comments: