Thursday, July 9, 2009

Danny Balis: On His Own

For the past eight or so years, I have had the pleasure of seeing Danny Balis play back up in many of Dallas' finest bands: Sorta, Sparrows, King Bucks to name a few. While the Bucks have allowed Mr. Balis a few opportunities to step up to the mic, Danny finally gets his own turn in the spotlight. On September 1st, Balis' first ever solo CD, Too Much Living, will be released in stores as well as on itunes.

For those who saw Mr. Balis' solo set at the Carter Albrecht CD release show, that set should give you a good idea of what the disc will sound like. Danny's press release calls it a "straight up, old school, country and western record", and I cannot find a better way to describe it myself. This is not alt-country or Americana, and it most certainly is not the pop country that Nashville churns out on a regular basis. This is what would have come out of Nashville about thirty (or probably more like forty) years ago. This is music that will undoubtedly be savored and reloshed by country music purists.

I have yet to listen to the new album, and I intend to get my hands on a copy pronto. In the meantime, his first single, "Tethered", will be released to Texas country music stations. I would strongly recommend a telephone and e-mail campaign to 95.3 The Range, and although I'm skeptical about it actually happening, I would love to hear something so authentically country on KSCS or 99.5 The Wolf.

And yes, there will be a CD release party for Too Much Living at the Granada Theater. Mr. Balis will open for Slobberbone on the 21st, and I have no doubt there will be plenty of CDs available for purchase.

2 comments:

James007 said...

Stay Hard Danny!

Camille said...

sweet write up~
see you at the show:)