Friday, June 19, 2009

Everything You Needed to Know About Friday Night But Were Afraid to Ask

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like all the good shows are tonight. Here's a sampling of tonight's finest choices.

Ishi/Little Black Dress/Romp Almighty/Sparklepussy Barbie (Prophet Bar)
I must confess, I'm a little disappointed that The Orbans had to drop out of this bill, but at least Romp Almighty will be taking their place. I went to see Little Black Dress last night at Good Records. The show went on WAY later than the advertised time of 7, and I had to cut out early to make it to Lakewood Bar & Grill. That was a real shame, because what little I heard of this set proved that their performance at Granada Theater last year was no fluke. The songs are tight, the performances by all the musicians are tight, and if that's not enough, this is the official CD release party for Snow in June. If only there was snow this evening in June, it would all be complete.
The O’s (The Libertine)
To the best of my knowledge, The Libertine hosts very few shows. I'm trying to recall if I've even been to the venue, so I can't say much about the bar. So instead, I'll talk about The O's. Though frankly, I've raved so much about The O's, I would only be redundant at this point. Just know that they're amazing, they will blow your mind, and you will have no cover charge tonight.
The King Bucks (Adair's)
I may run between Prophet Bar and Adair's tonight, because I usually end up missing out on the Bucks. It's a shame for sure, but hey, there are just too many bands worth following in Dallas. Someone has to get the short end of the stick. Hopefully I'll catch some good chunks of the show.
Cocky Americans/PVC Street Gang/Eaton Lake Tonics
Tonight will be Cocky Americans' 50th show. If I'd known that, I would have delayed their gig last week at LB&G so I could celebrate their 50th with them. One question: does this mean that the band is middle-aged now?

No comments: