Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

It was just yesterday that I commented on the upcoming CD from Little Black Dress. In case you're not familiar with the band, they are a shoegaze band fronted by Toby Pipes (Deep Blue Something, The Hundred Inevitables). The album will be the first to be released on Idol Records sub-label Exploding Plastic. Although I have only had the privilege of seeing the band once, they still managed to land a spot on last year's top 10 performances. The band pulled off the very tricky feat of having the gorgeous, lush, beautiful sound of shoegaze without ever becoming monotonous or boring in their live performance. Anyways, while I may still be waiting for the actual CD to come out, Erv from Idol Records sent me a JPEG of the upcoming album cover, which I felt compelled to share with my readers. Once I get my heads on the actual CD, I'll give you a review.

Something else I've been asking for is a video from Iris Leu. I attended her CD release party at Mokah, and her performance was first rate. The evening was so beautiful that I wanted to share a little piece of it with my readers. Alas, it took awhile for the person recording the show to actually post the video. As the old cliche goes, however, good things come to those who wait. The quality of the video is far superior than the majority of concert clips I see online. Aside from videos taken at Granada Theater, this might be the highest quality video I've seen. The song she's performing is called "The Red Bird". It's a song that she dedicated to Ryann Rathbone about her relationship to Carter Albrecht, ended much too soon by his untimely death. Ms. Leu is one of the best hidden musical gems in this city, though if I have my way, that will not be the case for much longer.

No comments: