Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday Shows, Part I

First of all, let me just say that I am still coming down to earth from Rahim Quazi's CD Release Show. If you were not there, you didn't just miss a show; you missed an experience. I'll tell you more about that later.

Normally, I don't post Saturday events this early. There are two events in particular that if I wait until my normal posting time, it will be too late. The rest of the weekend recommendations will come in the afternoon, but these two options you need to know about now.

The first is the Cottonwood Arts Festival. Traditionally, the musical acts at this festival are not my cup of tea. Today's lineup, however, features one band that I have wanted to see, and another that I love. At 1:15 p.m., Oso Closo takes the stage. I haven't seen them live, and I'm not sure how to describe what I've heard, other than to say that it has a nice groove to it. The next artist is Fishing For Comets, who start at about 2:45 or so. Camille's sweet voice and lyrics are sure to appeal to all festival goers ranging in age from 4 to 84.

The second festival is the Mudbug Boil behind Lucky Lou's. As you may recall from my Goodbye Times Three article, this will be the final performance of Spitfire Tumbleweeds. Other acts on the lineup I'd recommend checking out include A.M. Ramblers, Rodney Parker and 50 Peso Reward, Big Daddy Alright, and Eleven Hundred Springs. The first band, A.M. Ramblers, starts at noon, so if you want to check them out, you need to get a move on.

The other shows can wait. Check in later this afternoon, and I'll hook you up with some cool evening shows.

No comments: