Sunday, March 8, 2009

MySpace Playlist: 3/8/09

I posted a playlist last week, but never got around to the commentary. My bad. As a general rule, I always update the playlists, even if I don't get around to the discussion of the playlist here. Anywho, here we go:


  1. "Lydia", Fishing For Comets
    This Saturday, Camille Cortinas of FFC will be celebrating her birthday at Jack's Backyard. Instead of just relaxing and kicking back, however, her band will be taking the stage. I'll bet she plays this song. It's about a woman who loves drinking wine, kind of like Camille. I'm sure Ms. Cortinas would not object to receiving some glasses of wine as a birthday gift.

  2. "In the Garden", Doug Burr
    Last week, I was reunited with one of my best friends in elementary school who I had not seen in about 15 years or so. At one point, I noticed that he now bears a striking resemblence to Doug Burr. To be able to remind me of one of the best singer/songwriters in Dallas is always a good thing.

  3. "Harlem", Van Darien
    I picked up a free sampler CD of Van Darien several weeks ago at Opening Bell Coffee Mosaic. Being the procrastinator I am, I finally listened to it yesterday, and found it to be a very pleasant and enjoyable listen.

  4. "Truth Lies Low", The Drams
    After the Greenville Avenue St. Patty's Day Parade, there's gonna be a nice little concert at Energy Square. Actually, it'll be held at the parking lot for the Energy Square building. The Drams will be playing, along with GOBL favorites The O's, Eleven Hundred Springs, and I think there's one more band on the lineup. I'm trying to think of who that could be. Hmmm... I'll get back to you on that one.

  5. "T Docks (Summertime)", Clay Pendergrass
    I got behind on stuff, and missed my deadline for the Clay Pendergrass story. Since I didn't write the official story, let me give a brief synopsis of Clay. He is a musical chameleon, shifting from one sound to another, and from one project to another. There is only one thread holding this patchwork of sounds together: his talent. Whatever he does, whether his music is acoustic, reggae influenced, rock, or 60's soul revival (like this track), it sounds authentic and fresh.

  6. "Corporate Whore", Giggle Party
    One of the Giggle Party members wanted me to add them to the playlist on a week where all the bands started with the letter S. Since they declined my suggestion to become Siggle Party, I passed on them for that playlist. After seeing the band play a few weeks ago at Mokah, I realized what a fun band this is to see live. Mokah may not have been the best venue for them, but they made the best of the venue. I can't wait to see them in a more rocking setting like Club Dada or Double-Wide.

  7. "Typically I Don't Mind", THe BAcksliders
    My stupid illness prevented me from seeing the band last night, and I won't be driving out to Oklahoma City this Friday to see them. I am, however, trying to get a ride to SXSW this year, and they're playing two shows there, both unofficial shows I believe. By the way, if you're a local band playing an unofficial SXSW show, please email me with the date, time, and location of the gig. I'm trying to compile a list of good free shows.

  8. "Manic", Here Holy Spain
    Erv from Idol Records has been telling me about this band for quite some time now. I have refrained from commenting up until recently, because I didn't have the CD. Now that I have listened, I can give my honest feedback. The album is a solid piece of rock and roll, perfect for those who like their tunes quick, fast, and hard. You can catch them this Saturday at Double-Wide.

  9. "Action/Reaction", Dead Twins
    This band will also be playing Double-Wide this Saturday. I still haven't gotten to listen to their album. If you feel like sending me a copy, I wouldn't turn it down (hint hint). I will repeat, however, what I said about the band on the Crazy Jeff Show. If the band can create an album full of songs as intense and memorable as "Action/Reaction", then Dead Twins will take their place along Toadies, Baboon, and Record Hop as one of the best noise rock bands ever out of Dallas. I still stand by that statement.

  10. "Four Leaf Clover", Old 97's
    Oh yeah... Old 97's are the other band playing this Saturday after the Greenville Avenue St. Patty's Day Parade. I don't think tickets have sold out... yet. Still, you might want to get your tickets while you can.

No comments: