Friday, March 2, 2012

Weekend Plans: 3/2/12

In the past few days, I've had about several people ask me what shows they should go see this weekend. I suppose it means it's time to dust off the old "weekend plans" posts on the blog and bring them back. It has been quite awhile since I've done the last one. In fact, it's been so long since I've done one that it's my first since I started booking at Crown and Harp.

I feel the need to mention that as I start this post, for those who might try to argue that I have a conflict of interest. Obviously, I have a vested interest in people attending the shows I organize at The Crown and Harp. At the same time, the artists I book there are those I would want to recommend no matter what. Also, I will continue to promote ALL quality shows, whether they be at C&H, in Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff, Fort Worth, Denton... you get the idea. So without further ado, here are my picks for best shows of the weekend.


FRIDAY:
Cassie Holt/Backwater Opera/Emmeline (The Crown and Harp)
Yes, this is one of the shows I have a vested interest in. It also features Emmeline, and in case you haven't noticed, I promote Emmeline at any available given opportunity. Plus, Backwater Opera are a highly intriguing band out of Denton that fans of Seryn, Telegraph Canyon, and The Civil Wars will definitely want to check out. Finally, the night will wrap up with the soulful musical stylings of Ms. Holt.
Somebody's Darling/J. Charles & the Trainrobbers/Dead Flowers/Goodnight Ned (Club Dada)
Somebody's Darling has kept a rather low profile over the past year, as they have intently focused on recording their soon to be released album Black Eyes and Alibis. You can count on them performing several new tracks tonight. And while SD may be the night's big draw, equally as impressive is opening act Goodnight Ned. The band has one of the most energetic stage shows of any band going right now, and their shows are only getting tighter.
Dead Beat Poetry/Great White Buffalo/The Winniebago Forcefield/Arielle (Liquid Lounge)
Blues rock has exploded in the past year, almost to such a point where it becomes harder for bands of that style to stand out. While Dead Beat Poetry does incorporate a certain amount of that Black Keys type vibe, the ferocity of both Lulio Guevara's vocals and Brandon Keebler's drumming give the duo an undeniably hard rocking edge that makes their style unmistakable. And just like the previously mentioned show, opening act Arielle is every bit as worthy of your attention and respect as the headliner. She is easily one of the strongest female vocalists in the metroplex at the moment.
The Hi-Tones/Darstar/Rocket Arm (Double-Wide)
Darstar nice straddles the fence between 90's alternative and riot grrl, and lead vocalist Lisa Hardaway has a voice perfectly suited for such a musical blend. While I have not seen Rocket Arm live as of yet, from what I've heard, they're one of the more intriguing hard rock acts at the moment. Again, I'd recommend getting there early if you go, and reporting your findings back to me.


SATURDAY:
Bravo, Max!/Goodnight Ned/Temple Diver (The Crown and Harp)
Again, another C&H show courtesy of yours truly. I've booked the pairing of Bravo, Max! and Goodnight Ned previously, and it was the strong, most enthusiastic crowd I'd seen in the venue since its days as The Cavern in the mid-2000's. This show is sure to be just as intense. Get there early for the lovely acoustic styling of Jaime Saso's act Temple Diver. And save your money; there's no cover. Hooray for no cover!
The Phuss/The Virgin Wolves/Trebuchet (The Boiler Room)
Ever since The Boiler Room opened up last year, it seems that the majority of the shows have flown beneath the radar. With a lineup this strong, it just wouldn't be right to let this show slip quietly by. Actually, with as loud as all three bands rock, "slipping quietly by" just isn't an option for any of the acts here. For those who like their rock hard and sloppy (in the good way), this show will be just what you've been looking for.
Altered States/The Wake of Man/The Patient Patient/Amble/To Coda (2826 Arnetic)
Yes, To Coda is a younger band, and I suspect that may make some of my readers skeptical. All it will take is a few minutes of watching their live set to convince you that this is a band worthy of respect, regardless of their age. In fact, listen to "Take It Back" from this week's Lucky 13 playlist. This is not the sound of an amateurish garage band, but that of a band with solid songs and an incredible vocalist (Heather Darwin).
Emmeline (Buon Giorno Coffee - Grapevine)
Just in case one Emmeline show this weekend wasn't enough for you...

No comments: