Monday, March 26, 2012

The Lucky Thirteen: The Big Folkin' Edition

I'm not saying that the Big Folkin' Festival is the only show happening this weekend. But let's be honest: one look at the lineup and it's evident that this is more than a show. This is an out and out event. Or, as Parallel Play's Jeremy Drake (founder of the festival) would say, a hootenanny. Whatever you call it, it's a big deal. Tickets can be purchased in advance (click here to do so), and admission gets you the ability to see five different stages of music. You probably knew about the first four: The Prophet Bar, The Door (main and side stages), and the outdoor stage. Don't forget, however, that In Accord has its own stage. If you're like me, you're already super excited for the festival. But just to get you even more pumped, I've compiled a playlist of artists from the five different stages, and listed the start times as well. So take a listen and get your folk on.
Standard playlist disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email address to email me your mp3's. If I like the song, then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.
  1. "One Loaded Gun", Lara Parker
    A few months ago, I went to see Emmeline's open mic that she hosts every Wednesday at The Crown and Harp. During the show, I heard one young lady sing whose voice had a very haunting yet captivating quality to it. It was the kind of voice that makes a person take notice. That voice belongs to Lara Parker, and after hearing her, I knew that I wanted to do whatever I could to help Ms. Parker get the exposure she so richly deserves. She'll be kicking off the In Accord stage at 5:30 pm. I have no doubt she'll be playing this track, which possibly provides the darkest twist to the lyrics of "You Are My Sunshine" that you'll ever hear.

  2. "Shame on Me", Chris J. Norwood
    I've been digging his EP The Moth and the Flame ever since its release late last summer. I have not as of yet been able to catch one of his live shows. Since I can't seem to get myself to a show of his, I decided instead to bring his show to me. He'll perform at In Accord at 6:30 pm.

  3. "Julie", Dovetail
    When I first heard Dovetail was performing the Big Folkin' Festival, I felt a little surprised. The Dovetail I knew was closer sonically to Radiant* and Air Review rather than anything that remotely resembled folk. After hearing the new album, Mount Karma, I see that the band has steered away from the Coldplay/Radiohead vibe of the last album. That sound has been replaced with a southern rock sound with strong hints of 60's pop and psychedelia. And if their CD release show at Granada Theater this past Saturday was any hint, their set on the main stage at the Door (start time 7 pm) will be a real crowd pleaser.

  4. "All the Reasons Why", Emmeline
    So I booked the In Accord lineup, and I put Emmeline on it. Yeah, who would have guessed that I'd want her on the lineup? Actually, anyone who even barely knows me must be aware of what a fan I am. She'll go on at 7 pm at In Accord.

  5. "Someone Else's Blues", Greg Schroeder
    Mr. Schroeder has previously performed at In Accord, and the crowd was dead silent, hanging on every word of every song and story. He won't be performing at In Accord this time around, but he will be playing the outdoor stage at 7:30 pm.

  6. "Love to Hear", Hannah Wilshire
    This song got more than its share of spins on my Deep Ellum Radio show in the fall of last year. Give it a listen here and you'll understand why. Or better yet, listen to this song live when she plays at In Accord at 7:45 pm.

  7. "Dog's Light", Bravo, Max!
    This will be a long day for Johnny Beauford. Not only will Bravo, Max! be performing in the Prophet Bar at 8:15 pm, but he'll do a solo set at 9:15 pm.

  8. "Your Kiss", Parallel Play
    Since the concept of the Big Folkin' Festival was courtesy of Parallel Play's Jeremy Drake, it only seemed fitting to include one of the band's songs on the playlist. Their set starts at 9 pm at The Door's main stage.

  9. "Gambling Preacher and His Daughter", Whiskey Folk Ramblers
    Over the past few years, WFR has gathered a very loyal and empathic fan base. Count on them to show up in large numbers for their set at The Door starting at 10 pm.

  10. "She Falls", Rahim Quazi
    Patience is a virtue, right? I'm trying to patiently wait for Mr. Quazi's follow up to Supernatural, which he says will come out this year. It's been almost four years since his last CD, which is no small wait, especially in the world of local music. Count on Mr. Quazi to perform a large number of tunes from the upcoming album when he takes the In Accord stage at 10 pm.

  11. "Shake Your Fist", Telegraph Canyon
    At 11 pm, all roads lead to The Door's main stage. During that time slot, all the other stages are empty, leaving everyone free to assemble to hear Telegraph Canyon.

  12. "Schoolboy", Kirby Brown
    One of my favorite tracks of last year, and I'm sure he'll be playing this when he takes The Door's main stage at 12:30 am.

  13. "Break My Spirit", The Roomsounds
    The Roomsounds will wrap up the show in their usual raucous fashion, no doubt. Gather around inside The Prophet Bar, get a last drink in before last call, get a new CD from the band, and get some rock.

No comments: