Monday, October 18, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 10/18/10

Radio station KXT is approaching its one year anniversary, and they're currently doing their pledge drive. As far as I'm concerned, no other stations even comes close to playing the caliber of music that KXT does. There's certainly no other local station that has as much local music in regular rotation as KXT. This week, the Lucky Thirteen spotlights a small portion of the great tunes that can be heard on their station. If you like the station and what they do for local music, I would encourage you to donate whatever you can afford to.

Standard playlist disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email addy to email me mp3's, and if I like the song then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.


  1. "Allison", The Burning Hotels
    This song is in regular rotation on both KXT and my iTunes. If you want to hear the song live, check them out Friday night at the Carrollton Festival at the Switchyards. If that isn't reason enough to head out to Carrollton Friday, Old 97's and Polyphonic Spree are performing the same night. Who'd have ever thought the place to be on a Friday night would be Carrollton?

  2. "Clementine", Sarah Jaffe
    I was driving one day, listening to this song on KXT. I heard Ms. Jaffe sing "I wish I was a little more delicate/I wish my name was Clementine." I feel like I've heard another local artist sing about wishing their name was something different. I'm trying to think of who that might be...

  3. "Doctor's Not Gonna Cure Our Ills", The Beaten Sea
    I'm finding myself liking this band a little more with each listen.

  4. "Patricia Lynn", The Crash That Took Me
    This is definitely one of the more rocking numbers I've heard on the station.

  5. "Borrowed Time", The Monco Poncho
    If I had to choose a favorite track from the band, this would be it.

  6. "Talk To My Heart", THe BAcksliders
    THe BAcksliders have definitely gone even poppier than before with this song. By poppy, I mean that not in a Lady Gaga sort of way, but more in a Cheap Trick sort of way.

  7. "Shivonne", Menkena
    I've never heard KXT play this song, but I've seen it listed on their playlist. Speaking of Menkena, when is the full length CD coming out? I'm getting impatient...

  8. "Mine", Toadies
    Most of the Toadies' material is a bit too aggressive to fit in on KXT, but they've managed to sneak this track off of Feeler into regular rotation.

  9. "We Will All Be Changed", Seryn
    This song is doing double duty. It's not only a representative of the fine music heard on KXT, but it also allows me the opportunity to hype Art Conspiracy, happening this Saturday. Seryn, Ishi, and Dem Southernfolkz will all be playing there. Click on the link for all the juicy details.

  10. "Home", Deep Blue Something
    If I had a dollar for every time the Observer made fun of DBS, I'd never have to work again. Personally, I've always thought the band was severely underappreciated.
    Granted, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" got overplayed in a major way, but even that's a good song. Hearing KXT play this track, my favorite by the band, I felt like the station was validating my position on the band.

  11. "Roscoe", Midlake
    You know how I was talking about how I felt another artist besides Ms. Jaffe sing about wishing their name was something different. I'm still trying to think of what song that might be.

  12. "Like a Liar", The Orbans
    Not only has the band gotten love from KXT, NPR named this track the "song of the day" awhile back. You can give the band love this Saturday at the Carrolton Festival at the Switchyards. Carrollton, you're really rockin' right about now.

  13. "For Keeps", Iris Leu
    Of all the songs I've heard on KXT, this is probably the one that excited me the most. Not only have I been a long time advocate of Ms. Leu's music, on a personal level I've found her to be one of the nicest people I've gotten to know during my time as a blogger. The first time I heard this song on the radio, I was headed home, but found myself driving around the block a few extra times just to get all the way through the song. When was the last time a radio station made you do that?

No comments: