Friday, May 8, 2009

What to Do: Friday Night

Normally, I just post all the Friday and Saturday night events together. Tomorrow, however, is an exceptional busy day because of three great charity show lineups. I don't want to discuss those shows at this point, other than to tell members of bands to come to UltraViolet tomorrow and bid on the album review I'm auctioning off. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's gimmicky, but it's allowing me to help raise money for a very important cause.

For now, let's focus on tonight's activities. It's a little lighter of an evening than tomorrow will be, but there's still plenty to do.

Boys Named Sue (Allgood Cafe)
Don't these guys ever get tired of playing this venue? Obviously not, and I wouldn't either, especially if they'd pay me in terms of their chicken fried chicken. Mmmmmm!
Sean Russell/Kristina Morland/Clint Niosi (Opening Bell Coffee South Side)
Never heard of headliner Sean Russell, but the other two artists are reason enough to go. Mr. Niosi recently gave me a copy of his fine CD, The Sound of Dead Horses Beaten Against Cold Shoulders, and have enjoyed listening to it. My love for Kristina Morland's music has been made known on numerous occasions, having compared her to Sarah Jaffe. I'm surprised Ms. Morland's fan base hasn't grown exponentially at this point, because she's just that good.
Cocky Americans/PVC Street Gang/The League of Fucking Decency (The Cavern)
I still haven't caught any of these three bands, and I so want so see all three. Although I have a feeling I'll be getting to see Cocky Americans very, very soon. More on that one at a later date...
Solly/The Slack (Club Dada)
I know The Slack are doing an acoustic performance. I cannot imagine Solly doing an acoustic performance, as lead singer Marc Solomon seems to only like one volume level: extremely loud. Mr. Solomon keeps so busy running Zound Sounds that he does not play many shows with his band, which I would describe as powerpop a la Cheap Trick, only louder and heavier.
Reverend Horton Heat/Eleven Hundred Springs (Aardvark)
I would imagine than Eleven Hundred Springs alone could have Aardvark fairly tightly packed. Add the Rev to the mix, and movement within the club will be nearly impossible. This is the show to be at in Fort Worth this weekend, but you knew that already, didn't you?
Taste of Addison
Here's all you need to know: Old 97's play at 8:30. Enough said.

Check back tomorrow, and I'll give you the scoop on the SPCA benefit, the Delia King benefit, and UltraViolet. And at risk of sounding like a broken record, bring money to bid on the Ghost of Blind Lemon album review being auctioned off. Bring money to bid on the Ghost of Blind Lemon album review being auctioned off. Bring money to bid on the Ghost of Blind Lemon album review being auctioned off.Bring money to bid on the Ghost of Blind Lemon album review being auctioned off...

No comments: