Monday, August 9, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 8/9/10

No promises here, but I'm going to try to get back to writing more. That, and of course, I'll be posting my playlists. I don't have time for commentary now; that will come later tonight. For now, I leave you with a new edition of The Lucky Thirteen. I'm moving the playlists to Monday. I encourage anyone who likes the playlist to retweet it as part of "Music Mondays", as tweeters like to call it. And if you're not following me on Twitter, do so!

(Standard disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email addy to email me mp3's, and if I like the song then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.)


  1. "German Chocolate Cake", Bravo, Max!
    This band came highly recommended to me by John Keener from Lakewood Bar & Grill. He compared their sound to The Waterboys, and while the comparison doesn't totally fit, it fits better than any that I can come up with. It's certainly a very enjoyable pop song, and I'm curious to see what else this band is capable of.

  2. "Regular Nights", THe BAcksliders
    Do you know how I knew this song was going to be good before I even heard it? I knew because it was by THe BAcksliders. Duh. I have yet to be let down by the band, and this new song shows that they've still got the goods. They'll prove it this Friday night in Sachse... that's right, Sachse. The band will play at Monkey's Pub N Grub off Highway 78. Sachse, you don't know what you're in for.

  3. "If My Heart Was A Car", Old 97's
    As you might have noticed, I've switched from Hypster to Grooveshark for my playlists. Grooveshark doesn't have a lot of local music on there, but it has a surprisingly respectable selection of songs from Slobberbone and Old 97's, even going all the way back to this, my favorite track from Hitchhike to Rhome.

  4. "The Message", Dem Southernfolkz
    I had good intentions in regards to blogging about the Dallas Observer Music Awards Showcase. I think there's some cliche about a road paved with good intentions. Anyways, back to the DOMA showcase. Of all the performances I saw that night, none could compare to Dem Southernfolkz. Their fusion of southern soul and thought provoking hip-hop was the highlight of my evening. At the very least, DSFZ has become my new favorite rap group. Judging by the band's victory at the Dallas Observer Music Awards, I'm not the only fan.

  5. "The Queen Himself", Fate Lions
    Ever since KXT put Fate Lions into regular rotation, it seems their presence in the metroplex is looming larger. That's fine by me, as this band produces some really catchy tunes such as this one. They'll be at The Prophet Bar this Saturday as part of Deep Ellum's Second Saturday, where $10 cover gets you into several clubs.

  6. "It's Over Now", Lovie
    One Deep Ellum club that's not participating in the aforementioned Second Saturday is Liquid Lounge. Instead, they'll be hosting an Acoustic Chaos Reunion show, which will include Moonshot Radio (featuring members of The Burgundys) and Lovie. The show is a benefit for Ultraviolet/Cystic Fibrosis.

  7. "Farewell", Shaolin Death Squad
    Finally, a metal band I can sink my teeth into. Granted, this is not exactly a serious metal band. Perhaps it's their over the top sense of humor, wardrobe, and stage antics that won me over. This is one of those rare bands like Polyphonic Spree and Spoonfed Tribe where I would say everyone needs to attend a show regardless of what preconceived notions you might have regarding the music.

  8. "Virtue and Vice", The Virgin Wolves
    Thanks again to all who sent their mp3s for my last playlist. I discovered many good new artists as a result. Of all the songs on that playlist, however, this particular track stood out as my favorite. The opening riff is quite killer, and this song is vying for the title of "Best Hard Rock Anthem of the Year". I challenge anyone to put out a more rocking song in the remaining months of 2010.

  9. "Rocket Seance", Record Hop
    Speaking of bands that rock hard, Record Hop will be at Kessler Theater this Saturday.

  10. "Swelling", Sarah Jaffe
    During the first year of my blog, this was possibly my favorite song. Finally, almost three years later, "Swelling" was properly released on Suburban Nature. It's about time.

  11. "Burning Pictures", The Monco Poncho
    It's long overdue, but this week I am PROMISING my readers a review of the band's CD, Miserable Man. After you read the review, check out the band Friday Night at City Tavern. We'll compare notes later.

  12. "New Dress Were Her", The Orbans

  13. "Farewell Republica", Airline
    This weekend it's Farewell Airline. The band plays its final show Saturday at Double-Wide, with The Orbans opening. Speaking of The Orbans, a glitch prevented me from posting "New Dress", so you'll have to settle for "Were Her". And by settle, I mean really, really, enjoy.

No comments: