Monday, August 16, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 8/16/10 + Bonus Video

(Standard disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email addy to email me mp3's, and if I like the song then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.)


  1. "Punchline Afternoon", Charming Gardeners
    Authors often obsess over the first sentence of a novel, knowing how it establishes the tone of the story. Musicians likewise have to create an opening hook to a song that will be memorable to the listener. "Punchline Afternoon" has a killer intro that sets the tone for this powerhouse of a power-pop song. My hats off to Marc Solomon, Amy Curnow, and the rest of the band.

  2. "The Longest Winter's Gone", The Crash That Took Me
    The band plays an all too rare show this Friday at Granada Theater, playing with Speak and Radiant.

  3. ""In Reach of Fame", R. Jason Bonner
    You've probably heard that Jason is no longer with THe BAcksliders, opting to focus on his solo career. The man is responsible for writing many of the band's song, such as this track. After seeing him at Lakewood Bar & Grill, it is apparent that he has plenty of good songs in him.

  4. "New Dress", The Orbans
    I've said before that this band was on the verge of hitting it big. I'm obviously not their only fan, as their album When We Were Wild is at #74 on the College Music Charts. A forewarning to my readers: expect to see lots of Orbans songs on upcoming playlists.

  5. "City of Hate", Toadies
    Kirtland Records has finally released Feeler, the album that was originally supposed to be the follow up to Rubberneck. Here's my question: is it fair to call this a "new Toadies" song?

  6. "Harder Than It's Ever Been", Fergus & Geronimo
    Let me make this clear: I have no objection to the music of Fergus & Geronimo. This is catchy indie rock with a slight hint of 60's pop in the songs. I also think that Fergus & Geronimo are as much Funk/R&B as Cake are Rap/Hip-Hop. I do not feel Dallas Observer should have nominated the band in that category, much less let them take home the award. I know it's late to chime in on this, but it's been weighing on me. I feel better now, having gotten that off my chest.

  7. "Long Live the Live Long Day", Western Giants
    The band sent me their EP of the same name earlier this year, and while I liked it at the time, it never got the full attention from me that it deserved. After having come up several times on iTunes shuffle, I'm finding that their dreamy alt-country style is really growing on me. Fans of Pleasant Grove and Elkhart will probably really dig this.

  8. "A Long Time", Trey Johnson
    I'm not ready to render a final verdict on Mr. Johnson's new album, Where the East Ends, but I will dare say that this track is one of the catchiest songs Trey has ever written. Nice work.

  9. "Romance Tried to Kill Me", Cocky Americans
    Cocky Americans are now being represented by Manhandler Booking. In case you're not familiar with Manhandler, it's run by Chelsea Callahan. I wish Ms. Callahan and all her bands much success.

  10. "Where the Light Is", Emmeline

  11. "Paper Girl", Katie Carroll

  12. "Supernatural", Rahim Quazi
    Major announcement: "The Ghost" is turning 25 next week. Really, I am turning 25. Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and so on. Here's the point. I'm celebrating my birthday this Saturday at Opening Bell Coffee with the three aforementioned artists, as well as two out of town acts (Peter Janson and Corrine Chapman). The show starts at 6:00 with Emmeline, and cover is only $5. Don't miss this!

  13. "Autumn Leaves", Danny Balis
    Since Opening Bell Coffee closes at midnight, don't be surprised if I drop by Adair's to check out Danny and the rest of the King Bucks. Oh yes, there will be fun.


As you may have heard already, Ace McNeeley passed away last Monday. My condolences and sympathies go out to his family and friends. In tribute, I offer this video of Ace's band, Grant Jones & The Pistol Grip Lassos. I think the song title sums everything up perfectly.

No comments: