Saturday, November 24, 2007

Saturday Selections

OK, so yesterday it was almost exclusively about Fort Worth. I wasn’t able to make it out to AllGood, but I hope everyone in Dallas was there. Heck, who needs Fort Worth when you have Fishing For Comets and Chris Holt? Tonight, the choices are more plentiful within Dallas city limits. I give you three good choices for shows; go see at least one.

• Opening Bell Coffee is one of my absolute favorite hangouts in this city. I love it so much that I’m holding a musical showcase there on December 29th. I’ll announce more details on Monday, I promise. In the meantime, you can go there tonight to see Sarah Jaffe, Smile Smile, and Casey Shock with Christmas Belles. It’s an impressive lineup; almost as impressive as the lineup I’m planning. Just kidding. Sort of.
Maren Morris is holding her CD Release Party for All That It Takes tonight at Club Dada. She goes on at 9:30, and will be followed by one of my new favorites, Somebody’s Darling. Jevette follows, and the lovely and talented Anna Proctor will close the evening. I am not familiar with the music of Jevette, but I can tell you that Anna is worth sticking around for until the bar closes down.
• Tonight at Sons of Hermann Hall, The Hundred Inevitables will be playing an all too rare show. I hear a lot of people compare them to Big Star, and I’m not totally sure I agree with the comparison. Here’s what I will say: if you like power-pop music that knows how to rock, you will fall in love with Hundred Inevitables. Everyone’s favorite instrumental band, Shibboleth, opens up the show.

And not a single show in Fort Worth among the bunch. Hey, it works for me.

No comments: