Friday, April 27, 2012

Weekend Plans: 4/27/12

I don't do these weekend posts often enough I realize. It seems, however, that a large number of the major media outlets are shifting their focus even further away from local talent and towards the national touring acts. At Ghost of Blind Lemon, we (and by we, I mean I) like to keep it as much about the local scene as possible. So check out these shows listed, and more importantly, go to one.


FRIDAY:
Sayonara/The Klanks/Tweed EQ (The Crown and Harp) Of course I'm going to promote this show. After all, I booked it, so you know it's good, right?
Spookeasy/Sealion/Burgess Meredith (LaGrange)
This is a CD release show for Spookeasy's full length, Faux Show. I've listened to the CD, and it's every bit as good as I expected.
Bravo, Max! (The Free Man)
I'm at a lack of new ways of raving about this band, so instead, I'll just take a moment to recommend checking out the food at The Free Man, especially their sweet potato fries. Mmmmm.
The Olivia Tremor Control/The Deathray Davies (Sons of Hermann Hall)
Yes, I realize I'm mentioning a national touring band. But since Deathray Davies gigs are such a rarity at the moment, I would be slacking on the job if I didn't mention this opportunity to see one of my favorite bands ever to emerge from the area.


SATURDAY:
The King Bucks/Cory Herring (Granada Theater)
It's King Bucks. And there's no cover. So yeah, this is a good option.
The Phuss/The Virgin Wolves/Brunettes Not Fighter Jets (City Tavern)
Now that The Phuss have completed their full length CD (produced by Todd Lewis of Toadies no less), I have a feeling this band will soon be exclusively playing larger size venues. So enjoy this opportunity to see the band in a more intimate setting. Oh, and The Virgin Wolves still rock. But you knew that already, right?

I suspect I've forgotten more than a few good shows worth mention. That's what the comment section is for. Don't be afraid to use it.

1 comment:

chrizty haynez said...

awesome!! thanks for the news!!