Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Last Minute GOBL Showcase


Recently, J.R. Denson came to me and asked me to help him recruit some opening acts for his City Tavern show this Friday. I did, and in return, he allowed me the privilege of putting the Ghost of Blind Lemon name on the lineup. And while these new additions to his show may have been last minute, this is still a first rate lineup.

Opening the show is local music legend Mike Graff, formerly of Course of Empire. I got the opportunity to see him open for Menkena's CD release show, and while I figured he'd be good based on his reputation, I was not expecting songs so catchy. He'll be playing what he refers to as his "boogie rock" songs, which feels strongly reminiscent of 70's period Lou Reed/David Bowie/Rolling Stones. Fans of that period should run, not walk, over to City Tavern by 10 to catch his set.

Next on the lineup is Tweed EQ, one of last year's nominees for Best Blues Act in last year's Dallas Observer Music Awards. While blues purists may disagree with the label of blues for the band, there's no denying that there's a hefty dose of blues in their style of gritty rock music. For those who listen to The Local Edge with Mark (which if you're not, you NEED to start doing so this Sunday), you've probably heard one of their newer songs, "I Know a Thing or Two About You". I've been hearing the track for the past few weeks, and it's always one of the highlights of Mark's show. Tweed EQ should hit the stage at about 11.

That, of course, leaves Pale Horse in the headlining slot. I'm not sure what to say that I haven't already. I'll just refer you to their ReverbNation page, filled with GOBL quotes, and remind you that "You're No Good" was my favorite local music track of 2011. Also, it's worth mentioning that the band is working on their next EP, and you'll most likely hear some of the new tracks Friday when they take the spotlight around midnight.

I know this is short notice, but I hope that you can make the necessary adjustments in your schedule to attend this show. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: