Monday, February 22, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 2/22/10 - 2/27/10

Sure, it's a day late, but better late than never, right? I'm short on time, so forgive the briefer comments that usual.

Standard disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email addy to email me mp3's, and if I like the song then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.

  1. "Caldera", The Timeline Post
    I'm working on a review for the band's new album, Slow Descent. No, I don't do a lot of album reviews, so when I do, that usually means something really significant. In the meantime, I leave you with this track from the album, which I think is the perfect introduction to the band. The song is almost split into two different parts: the harder rocking half, and the darker, more melancholy half. Both halves are amazing.

  2. "Need a Release", the cut*off
    Work has been busy lately to say the least, and I have been stressed out. Simply put, I have lately related to the idea of needing a release. Rarely do I select songs for playlists based on my personal life, but I decided to make an exception. Besides, it's a darn good song.

  3. "Young & Reckless", The Roomsounds
    The band will be opening for RTB2 this Saturday at Barley House. This is a band that I've wanted to see live for quite some time. This song has captivated me for quite awhile, and I'm hoping the live show cashes in on the potential shown in these two minutes of pop bliss.

  4. "Great American Trainwreck", Eleven Hundred Springs
    "Great American True Country Music" could just as easily be the name. It'd be truth in advertising.

  5. "I Can't Make You Happy", Ronnie Fauss
    Mr. Fauss has managed to get himself on a quite impressive bill this Thursday night. He'll be performing with Brent Best & Danny Balis at Allgood Cafe.

  6. "This Is Me", The Rocket Summer
    Bryce Avery has a new CD coming out, and the CD release show happens Friday at Granada. I may get flack for this, but I don't care. His early material, particularly his Calendar Days CD, is just really great pop music, and I don't care what the indie hipster kids say.

  7. "Sins of the Father", Course of Empire
    Fell in love with the song at first listen back in my junior year in high school. Still love the song.

  8. "Romance Tried to Kill Me", Cocky Americans
    Great song title.

  9. "All Yesterday's Parties", Nervous Curtains
    I don't know whether or not this track is on the band's upcoming debut album. I do know that the LP release show will take place at Good Records Thursday. What, no CD?

  10. "Little Bear", Elkhart
    The band will play Friday at Bryan Street Tavern, and the band will undoubtedly sound beautiful, as usual.

  11. "Infatuations Never Last", The Slack
    Mark from the EDGE, I'm jealous. You get to host these great shows at Trees, and this Thursday's show may be the best lineup to date. Andrew Tinker, Johnny Lloyd Rollins, Fate Lions, and The Slack on one bill, plus no cover. Why don't I get to host a lineup that cool? It's just not fair.

  12. "Sweetness", Toadies
    I'm not going to lie. There are lots of Toadies songs in the Hypster catalog, and that saved me the time of uploading my own music. Hey, cut me some slack. At least I didn't choose Vanilla Ice.

  13. "At the Switches", Air Review
    This track from Landmarks grows on me with each listen. For that matter, so does the entire album.

No comments: