Sunday, September 27, 2009

MySpace Playlist: 9/27/09

I'll probably be posting something of greater substance tomorrow, but for today, I figured an updated playlist was more than overdue.

  1. "All Inside", The Felons

  2. "Just Wanna Try", Luna Matto
    For those who like to go out on Sunday nights, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend going to Jack's Backyard. Long time GOBL faves The Felons are playing there tonight, as well as brand new GOBL fave Luna Matto. There's no cover at Jack's, and even if there was a cover, it'd be worth the price of admission.

  3. "Shake Your Fist", Telegraph Canyon
    Telegraph Canyon has always been a critical favorite in the metroplex area, but their latest album, The Tide and the Current, has brought the band a level of attention that through me by surprise. Actually, the sound of the new album through me by surprise as well. The band's layered sound remains, but the newer songs have an energy and sense of urgency that their previous effort lacked. The band is garnering comparisons to My Morning Jacket, Wilco, and Band of Horses based on the way they have fused together dreamy melodies with their Americana and alt-country stylings. The band celebrates their CD release party this Friday at Lola's 6th Street, and I feel safe in saying that this will be a major event rather than a mere show.

  4. "Chasing Corporate", Air Review
    I ran into John Solis at the Dovetail CD release show, and I asked him if he had any new local bands I should be listening to. His answer? Air Review. A matter of minutes later, I start talking with Pete Freedman from the Dallas Observer, and ask him the exact same question. To my surprise, I get the exact same answer. I wondered if John told Pete to say that, but then I listened to their music. If their live show is even half as good as the songs posted on their MySpace, then the hype is completely warranted.

  5. "Wicked Game", Sara Donaldson
    For the past three or so years, I have impatiently waited for Ms. Donaldson to record her follow up to The Beginning. For those not familiar with Ms. Donaldson or first album, she is one of the premier cellists in the area, with a voice reminiscent of Kate Bush at her finest hour, and her melodies incorporate influences ranging from Tori Amos to Enya to Sarah McLachlan. Ms. Donaldson is continuing that tradition on her newest effort, Leaving Winter, featuring her cover of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". It's true what they say: good things come to those who wait.

  6. "Pushing Strings", Macon Greyson
    Have you downloaded This Machine Kills Hypocrisy yet? Macon Greyson's new EP can be downloaded for free, as in zero dollars. Do it. Now.

  7. "Suenos", Chasing the Muse
    John from Lakewood Bar & Grill recommended this act to me on the strength of their lead vocalist, Aleah Dillard. This is very dreamy music with well written complex melodies. I'm intrigued to hear more from the band.

  8. "Evil on the Highway", Dove Hunter
    They'll be playing Saturday at Lee Harvey's.

  9. "15 Minutes to Rock", Chomsky
    Why is this on the playlist? Sometimes I just like to kick it old school. Actually, they're one of my favorite bands of all time. That helps too.

  10. "Red in the Morning", Menkena
    Good news: Menkena has posted three new songs on their MySpace page. The band maintains its dreamy shoegaze melodies paired with Jimmy Menkena's ability to write a song. The melodies of the new songs are among the strongest that Jimmy has ever written. He says the CD should be out by the end of the year. It is the CD that I am most eagerly anticipating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haven't had the chance to say hello in a long time, Ghost! Hope all is well :)

-Dave