Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Heard It through the Grapevine (Palace Theatre, That Is)

I’ll be completely honest: when I think of areas in the metroplex for seeing local music, the city of Grapevine isn’t exactly at the top of my list. The first thing that enters my mind when mentioning the city’s name is Grapevine Mills Mall. Granted, the Glass Cactus does book plenty of cover bands and even the occasional flashback touring band, but that’s not really my cup of tea.

Well, my viewpoints on Grapevine and music are getting a severe makeover. If you’ve been paying attention to my blog in recent days, you have heard me making mention of the Palace Theatre in Grapevine. Rahim Quazi, both one of my favorite musicians and human beings, is responsible for breathing life into the theater. He is the one responsible for the theater’s Sounds of Texas concert series. To quote Mr. Quazi, he is “so excited to be a part of creating a quality music experience and introducing this gem of a theater to Dallas and Fort Worth.”

The Sound of Texas concert series began last Friday, with a show featuring Bob Schneider and Johnny Lloyd Rollins. For each show, a major Texas artist headlines the show, and a local favorite opens. This week’s show features Mr. Quazi himself opening up for Jimmy LaFave. You can also check out Del Castillo and Blue Petal on November 14th.

So while Grapevine may not have much of a music scene right now, the Palace is definitely a step towards the creation of one. Between the quality of music being booked and the beauty of the theater (just look at the photos below), this venue could not only satisfy the musical cravings of those in Grapevine, but also draw people in from all around the metroplex area. Since it seems that it is becoming harder and harder to find quality music in these parts, you just find that it’s worth the drive to check this place out.

No comments: