Monday, December 13, 2010

The Lucky Thirteen: 12/13/10

Just for the record, next week's playlist will be an all Christmas themed playlist. I am certainly open to suggestions for songs by either bands or fans. You can send your mp3s to ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and if I like what I hear, odds are it'll wind up on next week's playlist. And as usual, if anyone wishes not to be on the list or be removed, you can use the same email address for those purposes. But seriously, why wouldn't you want your song figured?

  1. "Indian Melody", Calhoun
    After hearing "Knife Fight" on The Local Edge with Mark, I was quite curious to hear more of what the band had been up to. Jordan Roberts was kind enough to send me a mp3 copy of Heavy Sugar, and this may be my favorite album the band has ever put out. Lead singer Tim Locke describes the effort as more of a return to pop. The genre of pop has been maligned over the years, particularly due to the fact that pop has become synonymous with overproduced, cookie cutter top 40 songs. This track serves as a reminder that pop, done correctly, is a most enjoyable thing.

  2. "We'll Go Walkin'", The O's
    I must say, I'm proud to have debuted the new O's track on my blog this past Tuesday. The album it's from, Between the Two, will be released in February. The Calhoun and O's CDs are two of my most anticipated releases of 2011, and both acts feature Taylor Young. Coincidence? I think not.

  3. "Allison", Luna Matto
    I may not have an exact record of which songs I've listened to the most within the past month, but this track would certainly have to be in the top 5.

  4. "Try Try Try", Spector 45
    Many years, it has been a struggle to find good New Year's Eve shows. This year, there is an overabundance. Just for starters, Jonathan Tyler & Northern Lights headline at Granada Theater, Air Review headlines at Dada, and Ishi headlines at Trees. The Spector 45/Marfalites lineup at The Bone has gotten less press than most of the other fine options, but I did not want the show to go ignored.

  5. "Coffee at Midnight", The Red 100's
    Finally had the pleasure of meeting Robbie D. Love from The Red 100's. He's quite a talented guitarist, and that talent can be audibly heard in the Red 100's. It's not easy as an instrumental band to keep a listener's attention, but if tracks like this are any indication, The Red 100's will have no difficulty commanding their fan's respect.

  6. "Silent Night", Smile Smile
    Here's a little holiday tune from Smile Smile to get you in the Christmas spirit.

  7. "Flower on the Wall", Kerri Arista
    I've previously included her track "Walk Beside Me" on the Lucky 13, a very sweet and beautiful song. Kerri has just released a new album, 50 Different Ways, and I have a hunch that her name will become a quite familiar one in the singer-songwriter world next year. This is a small taste of what her album has to offer.
  8. "District County Court", Daniel Folmer
    I don't have any special explanation for why I included this song, other than the fact that I like it. That's a good enough reason, right?

  9. "to the 9's", hormones
    A few weeks ago, when I asked for readers to recommend tracks for the Lucky 13, I received a couple of requests for the band hormones (the band prefers the name not to be capitalized). Since I did not have any mp3s of the band at the time, that was a request that obviously could not be fulfilled. Jordan Williams finally emailed me this track, and it's a quite interesting an unique track. I mean that in a good way.

  10. "The Spilling Blood Child", RTB2
    RTB2 will play Saturday night at Double-Wide for the fifth annual Orphanage benefit, along with Air Review and Old Snack.

  11. "End of the Planet", The Adventures of Jet
    Sometimes I randomly type in band names and see if Grooveshark has anything by that artist. Sometimes I find myself pleasantly surprised by what's in their catalog. Case in point: Grooveshark has both Adventures of Jet CDs available in their entirity. No Bobgoblin yet, but that's still pretty amazing.

  12. "...Name of Every Star", Red Monroe
    I had a conversation with Chris Demiglio of the Demigs recently, and the band Red Monroe came up in conversation. Both of us thought that the band had broken up and faded into oblivion. This is an instance where I'm glad to be wrong. The band has new material available on bandcamp, and it's a pay what you feel like deal. I suspect there'll be an official album release early next year. I'll let you know more as I do.

  13. "You're No Good", Pale Horse
    Finally, I'd like to take the opportunity to give out some thank you's. Thanks to Travis Behl and the entire staff of the Green Elephant for letting me host my showcase there and making me feel welcome. Thanks to Pale Horse, for playing even minus a drummer, and thanks also to THe BAcksliders and The Black & Blue. And finally, thanks to everyone who came out and supported the showcase and the bands. Let's do this again soon, okay?


Also, keep your eye on the blog, because later today, I'll be making an announcement that you're going to want to hear. Trust me.

No comments: