Monday, November 14, 2011

The Lucky Thirteen: 11/14/11

Bad news: I will not be airing a new episode of my show on Deep Ellum Radio this Wednesday. So instead, you'll have to settle for another Lucky Thirteen playlist.

Standard playlist disclaimer: any artists, record labels, etc. who do not wish to be on the playlist for any reason whatsoever, email me at ghostofblindlemon@gmail.com and I will gladly remove the track. And if you'd actually like to be on the playlist, you can use the same email address to email me your mp3's. If I like the song, then odds are it'll wind up on a playlist.


  1. "Up to the Mountain", Emmeline
    This song was originally going to close out the covers themed Lucky Thirteen, but to due technical difficulties with Grooveshark, I could not upload the song until now. Speaking of Emmeline, you should know that she's hosting an open mic every Wednesday at The Crown and Harp. I attended last week and was quite impressed by both her hosting skills as well as the other musicians who shared the stage with her. The other thing you should know is that her EP release show for Someone to Be happens November 26th at Opening Bell Coffee. You should attend. But you knew that already, didn't you?

  2. "Barn Burner", The Roomsounds
    Speaking of Wednesday nights, The Roomsounds play every Wednesday at The Free Man. Wednesdays are just getting cooler and cooler.

  3. "The Man with the Golden Snack", Old Snack
    Some might say that Old Snack is not the most appetizing name for a band. Perhaps not, but their 70's style punk a la Buzzcocks is just the tasty hook driven punk that I've been craving, and that this city has been sorely lacking as of late.

  4. "Love Bomb", Rude King
    I'll talk more about this band in the near future, but I wanted to mention that they will be opening for Swingin' Utters at Double-Wide this Saturday Friday.

  5. "My Favorite Song", The Crazy Ivans
    Happy birthday to Justin and Kristen of the Crazy Ivans. Help them celebrate their birthdays in style Friday at The Crown and Harp. Vaqueros Electronicos (featuring Clay Pendergrass) and Pills and Ferraris round out the bill.

  6. "America's Son", Air Review
    I've been spinning their more recent single, "Low Wishes", quite a bit on my radio show. I figured I'd mix things up a little here and feature this single instead.

  7. "Wither", True Widow
    Easily my favorite track from As High As the Highest Heavens and From the Center to the Circumference of the Earth. Although the album title itself is almost as bad is that Fiona Apple CD When the Pawn..., and no, I'm not going to type the entire name of the album. If you're curious, look it up yourself!

  8. "The Technology", [DARYL]
    After a long, dry five years, [DARYL] has finally decided to reunite for one show this Friday at Sons of Hermann Hall. Rose County Fair, who doesn't play very often themselves, open the show.

  9. "to the 9's", hormones
    it's taken hormones awhile, but their ep release is upon us. the band headlines at dada, with sealion opening. and yes, i'm typing in all lower case because of the band's affinity for lower case letters. and yes, i intentionally placed this song as number nine on the playlist. and i know that's highly unoriginal. leave me and my lower case letters alone.

  10. "Like a Charm", Here Holy Spain
    HHS will open for the Darstar CD release show this Friday. Also, the band will be performing a show in December that I'm super pumped about. More details on that later...

  11. "Father Abraham", Analog Rebellion
    Does anyone remember the late 80's band The Bolshoi who had a minor hit with a song called "Away"? For some reason, this song reminds me of "Away", and that's not a bad thing in the least bit.

  12. "Uh-Oh", Fair to Midland
    While FTM is not the style of music I typically listen to, I must admit that their live show is nothing short of hypnotic. The unique rhythms and melodies they incorporate into their music make the band one of the most innovative hard rock bands ever to emerge from Dallas.

  13. "Never Too Late", The Electro-Magnetics
    Sometimes my job as a blogger is hardest when a song is this good. Words never seem to do the song justice. So I'll just say listen to the song, and see if it hits you like it hits me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having us on the Lucky 13 List this week! Just wanted to mention that Rude King will be playing on FRIDAY at Double-Wide with Swingin' Utters.

Rude King

"The Ghost" said...

Don't you hate it when your brain thinks one thing and your fingers type another? Thanks for pointing out that correction.